On Sunday we had a few friends over to watch the Super Bowl. I was disappointed with the ending but still wanted to share my recipes with you.
On the menu we had:
and BYOPBS, Build Your Own Primanti Bros. Sandwiches!
Which included Slaw,
Turkey, Capicola Ham and Provolone Cheese
All between 2 slices of fresh Italian Bread!
And finished with Pittsburgh Steeler Super Bowl 45 jersey cookies and mini terrible towels!
Primanti Bros. is a famous restaurant in Pittsburgh and I thought it would be fitting to recreate their sandwiches for our party as we cheered on the Steelers! Putting fries and slaw on your sandwich may sound strange but you won’t find a sandwich without them at Primanti Bros. The fries and slaw make the sandwich perfect!
Primanti At Home
Makes 8 Sandwiches
- 1 lb. Shredded Green Cabbage (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 to 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Celery Seed
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 lb. Capicola Ham, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. Turkey, thinly sliced
- 8 Slices Provolone Cheese
- 1 Bag of Frozen French Fries
- 16 Thick Slices of Soft Italian bread
- Combine the cabbage, sugar, salt and celery seed in a colander set over a medium bowl. Let stand at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours; the cabbage will be wilted (about 4 cups total).
- Discard the draining liquid in the bowl; rinse and dry the bowl, then transfer the wilted cabbage to the bowl. Add the oil and vinegar; toss to coat. Season with pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bake the fries as directed per the back of the bag.
- Assemble sandwiches by placing your meat on the bottom, then a slice of cheese, a large handful of warm fries, and a 1/2 cup of the slaw.
Have you ever had a sandwich with fries on it?